Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Technology... Wednesday?

Bad Cabling



Ok, I couldn't get yesterday's Technology Tuesday out on time. I had some other things to worry about. Specifically, getting my place de-beed. I think it worked, all I have seen are some bee carcasses and two obviously dying bees.

Anyhow, I have seen some messy wiring closets. Hell, I have been culpable of running a quick patch or two (I'll just clean it up later) and never re-running the cable. But this... It simply takes my breath away.

I keep expecting to see a mechanical spider to come scuttling out.

My eyes! The goggles, they do nothing!
(yeah, I stole it from
tygerstripes' comment over at Slashdot. It's so damn appropriate here).

This is not a stack of hay bales or vertical pasta. This is all cable. I would hate to be the network admin that had to trace down a problem. It looks like nothing is labeled (would that really matter in this case?).

Everything is yellow (I see some white in there). How the hell do you tell what belongs to what? You could at least narrow down what the hell a connection would probably be if you used a simple color code. You know blue=servers, red=routers, etc...


Now this is what good cable management is supposed to look like.

You can tell where everything is, and troubleshooting would be a snap if something goes wrong.