Friday, September 22, 2006

Spinach Smoothies.. of DEATH!

How many people haven't heard about the current evils of bagged spinach by now? I can't turn around without reading about it, hearing about it, or seeing a newscast about it.

Yet it appears there's at least one person who didn't get the memo.

Kyle became sick September 15 after friends said his mother had blended spinach into a smoothie for him. He was initially hospitalized at Portneuf Medical Center in the eastern Idaho town of Chubbuck, before being transferred to Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City where he died overnight Wednesday from kidney complications, according to CNN affiliate KSL.

Were his parents living in a cave during all the E.Coli + Bagged Spinach = Bad news flying around? How could they not know about this?


Why the hell is there still bagged spinach available for sale? Until health officials track down the where the bag is being infected (an organic co-op in Cali is the top contender right now), bagged spinach should be kept off the shelves.


And really, a spinach smoothie... It would have never occurred to me to make a smoothie out of spinach. There are just certain foods that I don't think "Gosh, this would make a refreshing beverage". Spinach is one of them. Pork Chops another. I don't think I'd be able to choke a spinach smoothie down if you held a gun to my head.

UPDATE: The more I spell spinach, the stranger the word becomes. Spinach, spinach, spinach... Now I've got the chills.