Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Greatest Rock Songs Of... Well, Right Now

I'm going to take a break from my usual rants, and give you all what I'm sure has been bubbling beneath your consciousness. What, exactly, does Phil think are the top 5 Rock Songs of Right Now? (hey, my listening habits change...)

Well, I'm glad you asked. Because I just so happen to have that list handy (thanks to my iPod Top Played list). So I give to you, with no further ado, The Greatest Rock Songs of Right Now.

Number 5:

Song: Supermassive Black Hole
Artist: Muse
Album: Black Holes and Revelations
Why: Heavy, heavy beat with loud fuzzy guitars, some great vocals, and really odd lyrics. How can you not like a song with the line "Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive" Brilliant!

Number 4:

Song: Black
Artist: Sevendust
Album: Sevendust
Why: WALL OF FUCKING GUITARS!! Plus, really cool, gravelly vocals. But mostly,
WALL OF FUCKING GUITARS!!

Number 3:

Song: Rush Hour Soul
Artisit: Supergrass
Album: Life On Other Planets
Why: Very unique sounding guitar lead. Great vocals. Good solid listen

Number 2:

Song: Jupiter
Artist: Presidents of the United States of America
Album: Freaked Out and Small
Why: How many songs do you know about the planet Jupiter? I thought so.

and finally, the Greatest Rock Song of Right Now:

Song: Deserted
Artist: Blind Melon
Album: Blind Melon
Why: This is the best song, by one of the best rock bands. The tortured vocals pulled from the depths of Shanon Hoon's soul. The frenetic, kinetic energy of Stevens' and Thorn's guitar work. The asymmetric syncopation of Glenn Graham. I could go on and on. This song is just perfect.

Hey, that was kinda fun. I may do this again sometime....