Friday, October 27, 2006

The Humor Impaired Strike Again

Hat tip to Anne, head of research for the forthcoming monthly Chippy Awards.

I thought the episode was funny.
Swearing and random death and destruction are staples of the cartoon, which has been broadcast since 1997. Irwin, killed by a stingray's barb while snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef in September is the latest celebrity to be lampooned by the show.

The episode, aired in the U.S. earlier this week, shows Satan preparing to host a Halloween fancy dress party. Other guests include Princess Diana, Hitler and rapper Notorious B.I.G. Critics have been appalled by the Irwin character's depiction in a bloodstained shirt and with a stingray still attached to his chest.

I will admit I had an "I can't believe they're doing this" moment, but then I remembered who the writers are. Plus, it was genuinely funny.

Basically, at a costume party Satan is holding at the "W" in Vegas, Satan tries to eject someone wearing a "Croc Hunter" costume, complete with sting-ray in the chest, basically saying "Dude, it's just too soon for that". When he discovers that it actually is Steve Irwin (the dead have been invited to the party as well, there's Hitler, Gacey, George Burns, etc...), Satan looks nonplussed for second and then says "No costume. You have to leave."

Priceless.

I find it interesting that more people seem upset by this than by the fact that some of the Catholic priests in the episode had naked pre-teens on dog-leashes.

Whatever. People need to lighten up and get a sense of humor. And yes if it had been my dad or brother or whatever that was being lampooned, I would have laughed as well. Because they both have the same wicked sense of humor I do and would have appreciated it for what it was.

Something funny.